Thursday, January 17, 2013

Kay's Simple Historical Fiction, Kimmel's Humor, and People Getting Dressed

A few weeks ago we read books by 
Verla Kay
Eric Kimmel
Robert Kraus
Steven Kellogg
Steven Kroll
Bert Kitchen
Ezra Jack Keats
Karla Kuskin
Michelle Knudsen
Lawrence Kushner
We loved so many of these, but, in brief, and our favorite books were--(drumroll)--

Verla Kay's nonfiction with simple verse about the gold rush and pre-colonial migration across the ocean.

Eric Kimmel's book Four Dollars and Fifty Cents for its hilarious ending.

Karla Kuskin's book The Philharmonic Gets Dressed (even if there is a little underwear and folks-in-the-tub stuff) for it's interesting concept.

And In God's Hands by Lawrence Kushner is the kind of of picture book I like to read on the Sabbath--it promotes the idea that God answers our prayers through others.



*This school year I'm going on a Big (Picture) Book Tour. It's not a book tour to show off a book I've written. It's a trip through the children's section of our library. Here's how it works:

  • Each week I give myself about ten minutes at the library to choose over a dozen books from one alphabetic section of the children's picture books, usually several of the same author. 
  • This is not a comprehensive review of each artist. I limit myself to what is in the library that day.
  • The objective is to share these with my kids and then I'll briefly review the authors here. 
  • I don't give equal attention to the artists because the books aren't categorized that way, but I'll try to do that, too. 
  • I'll highlight my favorites in case you're looking for recommendations. 

No comments: