Sunday, November 4, 2012

Joe Hayes or Keven Henkes (Depending on the Age)

Bottom line: it will take us two weeks to review the H stacks in our children's library, so this is just week one.

This week's line-up of authors*:
Katherine Holabird
Mary Ann Hoberman
Holly Hobbie
Robie Harris
Joe Hayes
Kevin Henkes
Amy Hest
Robie Harris' books speak to and in behalf of children. She seems really understanding of childhood anxiety. My kids loved Mail Harry to the Moon! about a boy who is jealous of his younger brother (and he comes around) and Don't Forget to Come Back (about a little girl who doesn't want her parents to leave her with a babysitter.) My favorite was Maybe a Bear Ate It about the possible whereabouts of a particular misplaced object. I might memorize it for those moments when someone says "I can't find it anywhere! Where is my ____? I need my ____?" That happens a lot around here.

Joe Hayes' stories about a skunk and a rattlesnake are hilarious and were read several times this week. I don't know much about him but his storytelling is superior. If I needed to memorize a story for a campfire, I would go to his books. Though there are many words on the page (requiring lots of patience from toddlers) young readers and older readers can't escape the humor.

I love every single Toot and Puddle book (by Holly Hobbie) and every Keven Henkes book we read this week. My pre-K twins loved these most.

Mary Hoberman's Seven Silly Eaters (which we own) is one of my favorite books ever, and we enjoyed Whose Garden Is It for completely different reasons. It's about a garden and all the creatures that claim it.

We read One Halloween Night by Mark Teague even though we didn't find it in the H stacks. I love the emphasis of imaginative problem-solving in this story. This is a fun one for future Halloweens.

Amy Hest deserves mention because her books all seem to be about special connections children make with others, particularly older grandparents and aunts. There are no nasty mothers or sleeping grandpas in these books.



*This school year I'm going on a Big (Picture) Book Tour. It's not a book tour to show off a book I've written. It's a trip through the children's section of our library. Here's how it works:
  • Each week I give myself about ten minutes at the library to choose over a dozen books from one alphabetic section of the children's picture books, usually several of the same author. 
  • This is not a comprehensive review of each artist. I limit myself to what is in the library that day.
  • The objective is to share these with my kids and then I'll briefly review the authors here. 
  • I don't give equal attention to the artists because the books aren't categorized that way, but I'll try to do that, too. 
  • I'll highlight my favorites in case you're looking for recommendations.

No comments: